Bligh Federation Junior School

Bligh Junior  School is now The Bligh Federation, which incorporates Bligh Infant School, Bligh Children’s Centre and Bligh Day Care Nursery.



Basic Information
Name of venue
Bligh Federation School - Junior
Venue address
Bligh Way
01634 336220
Bligh Federation School - Junior

Local Offer

Local Offer Description

The Bligh Federation will value the contribution your child makes, support our families and play an active part in our local community.

We recognise that every child is a unique individual with a skill to be nurtured. It is our responsibility to ensure that every child in our school truly matters.

Your child will be helped, encouraged and expected to achieve to the best of their ability and their achievements will be celebrated.

Everyone in our school community is positively encouraged to be a learner.

Your child will learn to make choices, be responsible for his or her own actions, be polite, be co-operative, to get along with others and to care for the environment in which we live and learn.

Contact Name
Miss T. Gobell
Contact Telephone
01634 336220
Contact Email
Local Offer Age Bands
Primary (5-11 years)
SEN Provision Type

Schools Extended Local Offer Response 

1. How does the setting/school/college know if children/young people need extra help and what should I do if I think my child/young person may have special educational needs?

We know when children need help if:

  • concerns are raised by the child, parents/carers, teachers, teaching partners or the child’s previous school
  • there is lack of progress
  • poor test scores
  • there is a change in the child’s behaviour

If you have concerns then please contact your child’s class teacher who will then liaise with the appropriate staff and will keep you updated.

2. How will early years setting/school/college staff support my child/young person?
  • Each child’s education will be planned by the class teacher. It will be differentiated accordingly to suit the child’s individual needs. This may include additional general support by the teacher or teaching assistant in class.
  • If a child has needs related to more specific areas of their education, such as spelling, handwriting, numeracy & literacy skills etc. then the child will receive focussed support. This will be delivered by a teacher or teaching assistant. The length of time of any intervention will vary according to need but will generally be for a term. The interventions will be regularly reviewed by all involved, including the children, to ascertain the effectiveness of the provision and to inform future planning.
  • These interventions will be recorded on the child’s provision map (this is a record of the interventions, timings and impact of the intervention), a copy of which will be sent home regularly through-out the year. A provision map is also a record of support that the child is receiving including the impact it is having on the child’s learning. If you have any queries related to the interventions please do not hesitate to contact the class teacher or SENCo (Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator).
  • Pupil Progress Meetings are held regularly through-out the year. This is a meeting where the class teacher meets with the Head teacher, Inclusion Manager, SENCo & Phase Leaders to discuss the progress of the children in their class. This shared discussion highlights any potential difficulties in order for further support to be planned.
  • Occasionally a child may need more specialist support from an outside agency such as the Children’s Therapy Team, Paediatrician etc. Referral forms are completed in conjunction with the child and the parents/carers and then forwarded to the most appropriate agency. After a series of assessments, a programme of support is usually provided to the school and parents/carers.
  • The Governors of The Bligh Federation are responsible for entrusting a named person to monitor Safeguarding and Child protection procedures. In our Federation the named Designated Child Protection Co-ordinator is the Executive Head Teacher and the Deputy Head Teacher as the Deputy Designated Child Protection Co-ordinator. The designated person is also responsible for the monitoring and correct administration of the Disclosure and Barring service procedures and the Federations Single Central record.
  • The Governing Body is responsible for both rigorous challenge and supporting the Federation in being as inclusive as possible. It ensures all children, parent/carers and staff are treated in an equitable way. They monitor and review the accessibility plan and all other statutory policies as defined by the DfE.
3. How will the curriculum be matched to my child's young person's needs?
  • Every child has their work differentiated appropriately by the class teacher to enable them to access the curriculum more easily.
  • If appropriate a member of staff may be allocated to work with the child in a 1:1 or small focus group to target more specific needs.
  • Where required, specialist equipment will be identified to support the children e.g. writing slopes, concentration cushions, pen/pencils grips or easy to use scissors.
4. How will both you and I know how my child/young person is doing and how will you help me to support my child's/young person's learning?
  •  You will be able to discuss your child’s progress at Parent Consultation Meetings.
  • Appointments can be made to speak to the class teacher at the end of the day.
  • Appointments can be made to speak to the SENCo by visiting or phoning the school office.
  • Every child receives an annual report of attainment in relation to expected achievement
  • Where required, provision maps are sent home regularly through-out the year. Targets are usually set by the class teacher or intervention teacher in consultation with the SENCo. Parents/carers are encouraged to contribute their input to be included on the Provision Map.
  •  All children are supported in their home learning through homework, regular newsletters and the Learning Platform.
  • Where appropriate contact diaries are set up in which messages can be exchanged.
  • The class teacher may suggest ways of supporting your child’s learning through Parent Consultation Meetings, requested meetings and where appropriate contact diaries.
  • A member of the SEND (Special Educational Needs & Disabilities) team may meet with you to discuss how to support your child.
  • Where a specific assessment has been carried out by the SENCo or a specialist agency, parents/carers will be contacted to discuss the way results and suggested ways forward.
  • A member of the SEND team may meet with you discuss strategies to use if there are problems with a child’s behaviour/emotional needs.
  • If outside agencies such as Educational Psychologist have been involved, suggestions and strategies are often provided that can be used at home.
  • Parent/carer workshops for all parents are arranged throughout the year to encourage an open and relaxed forum, where advice and ideas can be exchanged.
5. What support will there be for my child's/young person's overall well being?

Every member of staff is committed to ensuring the wellbeing of all children.

The Federation offers a wide variety of pastoral support for children who are encountering emotional difficulties. These include:

  • Members of staff such as the class teacher, teaching , learning mentor, SENCo, Inclusion Manager and FLO (Family Liaison Officer), are readily available for children who wish to discuss issues and concerns. Where appropriate mediation sessions are carried out.
  • Specific interventions such as social skills groups, ‘Circle of Friends’, run through-out the Federation at all times of the day including lunchtimes.
  • Provision is made at lunchtime for children experiencing emotional difficulties.
  • Access to an equipped calm room is available for children experiencing significant difficulties.
  • Where required, referrals will be made to specialist outside agencies such a play therapy team and the Educational Psychologist Service.

Children with medical needs

  • If a child has a medical need then a detailed Care Plan is compiled with you and an appropriate member of staff. Where appropriate this will be supported by an external healthcare professional. (refer to medical policy on schools website)
  • Health Care Plans are shared with all staff and regularly reviewed.
  • First aid training is regularly updated.
  • Specific health care training such as Epipen Training, will be delivered by a healthcare professional.
  • Where necessary and in agreement with parents/carers, prescribed medicines are administered in school but only where signed consent is in place and, where necessary a Health Care Plan, to ensure the safety of both child and staff members.
6. What specialist services and expertise are available at or accessed by the setting/school/college

At times it may be necessary to consult with outside agencies to receive their more specialised expertise.

  • Specialist involvement is sought where a child’s needs are felt to be significant and they have not responded to the interventions already put in place.
  • Specialist support is usually arranged following the ISR (In School Review).These are meetings held three times a year between school staff and where appropriate, other professionals. The aim of an ISR is to gain an understanding of, and try to resolve a child’s difficulties.
7. What training are the staff supporting children and young people with SEND have had or are having?

Every year, on an on-going cycle, staff training is delivered or updated so staff have the appropriate skills to support our children. These have included training sessions on:

  • How to support children with a learning need e.g. precision teaching.
  • How to support children on the autistic spectrum.
  • How to support children with emotional and/or behavioural needs e.g. ‘Circle of Friends’
  • How to support speech and language needs e.g. Language for Learning
  • How to support physical disabilities or needs e.g. BEAM and FIZZIES
8. How will my child/young person be included in activities outside this classroom including school trips?

Activities and school trips are available to all.

  • Risk assessments are carried out and procedures are put in place to enable all children to participate.
  • If a health and safety risk assessment suggests that that an intensive level of 1:1 support is required a parent or carer may also be asked to accompany their child during the activity in addition to the usual school staff.
9. How accessible is the setting/school/college environment
  • The schools accessibility plan is regularly updated and reviewed.
  • As a school we are happy to discuss individual access requirements.
10. How will the setting/school/college prepare and support my child/young person to join the setting/school/college or the next stage of education and life

The Bligh Federation understands what a stressful time joining and moving schools can be. Therefore many strategies are in place to enable the child’s transition to be as smooth as possible.

These include:

  • Children at the Bligh Federation are supported on entrance to EYFS (Early Years Foundation Stadge) by the Children’s Centre and school staff.
  • The Children’s Centre facilitates pre-school inclusion meetings for children with SEND transferring to infant school.
  • Head of KS1 supports transition to Bligh Junior School.
  • Children in Year 2 engage in a transition programme with Year 3 through-out the whole year.
  • Head of Upper KS2 supports transition to secondary school.
  • Meetings between previous or receiving schools/nurseries/pre-schools prior to the child joining/leaving.
  • All children engage in a transition programme in Term 6.
  • Additional visits are also arranged for children who need extra time in their new school.
  • There are additional transition groups arranged for children presenting with worries or concerns.
  • The SENCo shares information with the secondary school SENCo prior to the children transferring.
  • Where a child may have more specialised needs, a meeting is arranged between the SENCo/SENCos, the parents/carers and where appropriate the child prior to transition.
  • Children with significant needs have an individual transition programme.
11. How are the setting's/school's/college's resources allocated and matched to children's/young people's special educational needs?
  • The SEN budget is allocated each financial year. The money is used to provide additional support or resources dependant on an individual’s needs.
  • Additional provision may be allocated following pupil progress meetings .
  • Additional provision may be allocated where an additional need has been raised by a member of staff or an outside specialist.
  • All SEND resources are costed, matched and allocated on the whole school provision map.
  • SEND expenditure is monitored by the Governing Body.
12. How is the decision made about what type and how much support my child/young person will receive?
  • When the children join the Federation, support is allocated according to the information provided by the feeder school/nursery/pre-school.
  • Support is allocated according to a child’s provision map which identifies need.
  • Where further concerns are identified due to a child’s lack of progress then interventions will be arranged.
  • Support will also be allocated with recommendations from outside specialist agencies.
  • Parents/carers will be able to see the support their child is receiving on a provision map which will be sent home regularly through-out the year.
13. How are parents involved in the setting/school/college? How can I be involved?

All parents are encouraged to contribute to their child’s education.

This may be through:

  • Discussions with the class teacher.
  • During Parent Consultation Meetings which take place at key points in the school year.
  • During discussions with SENCo or other professionals
  • Parents are encouraged to comment on their child’s provision map with possible suggestions that could be incorporated.
  • The Early Years and Foundation Stage have home learning stories which inform the assessment pack which parents are encouraged to contribute to.
14. Who can I contact for further information?

If you wish to discuss your child’s educational needs please contact your child’s class teacher in the first instance.

You are texting details about Bligh Federation Junior School