Childminding is a rewarding career that provides you with the opportunity to work from home and to be self employed. If you are energetic, enthusiastic, and like looking after children and planning activities for them, you will enjoy childminding.
Do I need to register?
If you want to be a childminder or nanny, you might need to register with Ofsted or a childminding agency.
You DO need to register if:
- you’re a childminder paid to look after children under 8 for more than 2 hours a day.
You DON’T need to register if:
- you look after children aged 8 or over
- you look after children of any age for less than 2 hours a day
- you’re a nanny looking after children of any age
Further information is available at ''How to register as a childminder or nanny: quick guide'
Registration Process and Training
- The first step to becoming a childminder is to read the documents listed within the Useful Downloads section on this page.
- The second step is to access the Ofsted website for details on the registration process
- The third step is to source organisations and colleges for online courses - Search for 'Understanding how to set up a childcare service or CYPOP 5' (Cache accredited) and 'Paediatric First Aid'. For the Paediatric First Aid course you can choose which organisation you would like to provide your training, but you must ensure that the training covers the course content as for St Johns Ambulance or Red Cross. You will also need to undertake 'Safeguarding Children' training which is available from Medway’s Safeguarding Children Board, NSPCC, Kent Safeguarding - with others being available if you search online.
- Once registered your details will be added to www.medwayfisd.com to promote your business.
Please contact the Family Information Service if you require any further information on 01634 332195 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.